Saturday, July 30, 2011

A little funk.

Since I have been back from Africa, I have been in a funk. I don't like it. The trip completley changed my life & I knew from the begining it was what the Lord wanted me to do. He has put things on my heart since I have been back but I know Satan is trying to stop me. I feel overwhelmed. I feel sad.

It breaks my heart when I hear people say that we need to help America before we help other countries. Don't get me wrong. I know there is a huge mission that needs to be taken care of here in the USA. I believe it is what the Lord puts on your heart. I am all about doing a mission trip HERE. That is not going to stop me from doing international work. The Lord didn't say "stay in your own country & worry about your own country before you help in other countries". I can tell you this.....The homeless in America still have access to clean water.

I will never forget all the negative comments I heard when I announced I was doing this trip. "We need to examine ourseves here before we purchase an international plane ticket." Comments about how there is plenty to do here. "I could never leave my kid that long." God bless them all. I pray you do WHATEVER it is the Lord wants you to do.

I think of the things we take advantage of here. All the clean water we want. I can drink as much water as I want in a day & not worry. Produce, I don't worry that much anymore about the produce being clean or something being wrong with it. I know I can still get sick but it doesn't even compare to Ethiopia. I couldn't imagine not always having toilet paper in the bathroom. (sorry TMI). Even soap to wash my hands with. Also, school is FREE here. FREE! Not in Africa. & most kids don't go to school because they can't afford it.

Aahhh, What is next....I don't know. Prayers & patience. The Lord is good. He will get me out of this & He will lead me to what is next.

3 comments:

  1. Becky, I think we can all relate. I know that I can. I won't get this exactly right but I loved what David Platt said in his book, "Radical", about those people who say we should only help our own. In the book, he was talking about that very thing and he said that if we only help our own, basically, we are only love a small percentage of what He himself loves and we are to strive to love what He loves (all of it) . The Great Commission says to make disciples of ALL NATIONS.

    Praying for your "next" (and my own; ). So thankful to have served alongside you in Ethiopia. Hope to do it again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely understand! What a blessing that God is making you "uncomfortable." It sounds like the Lord working on your heart and showing you His compassion for the world. Love this post. It sounds like a bit of reverse culture shock, too. Try not to spend time feeling guilty, but rather focus your energy on finding ways you can inspire change in others, and most importantly, being moved on a personal level to do something. This was a convicting reminder to me to not forget about God's heart for the people of all nations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are awesome! Thank you for the GREAT words!!!!! I really do appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete