Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Croup

So sorry this is kinda long.

How it started........
It started out with a runny nose last week. Then Friday night when we put Piper to bed she started coughing really bad. Beau got up with her 3 times in the night to give her breathing treatments. The next day along with the hard, raspy cough she began weezing. We continued with the breathing treatments of albuterol which were not working. We gave her so many treatments too. Let me also mention that she had been on antibiotics for a week now from the previous week. I did not understand why she got a runny nose being on antibiotics. That afternoon we meet our friends Jared & Cassen in ft. smith to go hit some softballs at the batting cages since our softball season is about to start. Piper still didn't feel real well. She played a little but wanted us to hold her. We came back home so we could give her a breathing treatment b/c she was getting pretty bad. Jared & Cassen came over too so we could watch basketball. We were thinking Piper was just going to get better. We continued to give her several breathing treatments. Still it didn't work. We put her to bed early.

When it got bad........
I went in the bedroom to laydown & watch GREASE :). Beau stayed up & was playing some NCAA football on his PS2. I fell asleep. Beau came in with Piper & said "Becky I think we need to take her to the hospital. (it was about 11:20 at this time) I was tired & just wanted things to be okay. On the other hand I did not want anything to happen to my baby girl. I know that Beau knows what it is like to not be able to breath since he has asthma. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to rush her to the hospital if it wasn't a big deal. Piper was breathing fast rapid breaths & you could tell she was struggling. ~Poor baby~ I prayed......."God please let me know what to do & please don't let anything happen to my baby". It then came to me...."Becky, trust your husband....weather it is a big deal or not submit to him & trust him." I said Beau do you think we need to go to the hospital? He said yes! So off we went to the hospital.......

The ride there.......
I told Beau sorry on the ride there & told him I trust him know matter what. He was very thankful for that. As we were getting out of the car Piper started coughing so bad & began throwing up all kinds of drainage (sorry, I know that's gross). It was good though b/c she needed to get it out.

As we waited........
They took her vitals as soon as we got there. They said everything seemed fine so we sat in the waiting area ........................for 2 1/2 hours. It was terrible!!! Piper didn't feel good & she kept going back & forth from Beau to me saying "daddy" "mommy". It was bad. We finally went up there & said look at her stomach, chest & neck. She is having a hard time. Let me not forget to tell you that Piper did not like them touching her. She seriously screamed so loud. We got a lot of stares. They finally left the pulse thing on her toe & we put it pajamas on over it. Everytime she remembered it was there she would say "UH OH" & grab it & start crying. It was cute. They told us she was okay & we sat some more. We were a little upset at this point thinking these people think there is really nothing wrong with her. I prayed that God would give us a good dr. who would know what was wrong with her. 10 minutes later thankfully we got called back.

In the room..........
It didn't take the dr. no time at all to get there & he noticed how she was reacting immediatley. He asked us questions like, if the cool air calmed her down? & when it started? different things like that. We told him we gave her several albuterol treatments & it never got better. He looked at her breathing & said I am pretty sure she has the croup. Her lungs sounded pretty good he said. Albuterol does not help with the croup b/c the croup affects the upper airways. He had a respritory nurse come down & give her a breathing treatment of Epinephrine. As soon as she had that you could tell a big difference. She began to be a much happier little girl. The ladies came in to do her neck & chest x-rays. Piper did wonderful for them. We told Piper they were going to take a picture of her & she was saying "cheese". Then when they left she said "thank you". They thought that was cute!

The really long wait........
Next they came in to give Piper a shot of steroids since the epinephrine only lasts 4 hours. She cried but was just fine after that. We had to wait for 4 hours to make sure she wasn't going to get bad again. She went to sleep on the bed & put her little arms around her daddy & me & pulled us together. She is such a sweet little girl. Beau & I laid on the little 3 foot wide bed with her & we all slept. Beau & I kept getting woke up b/c they wanted to check on Piper. Then the radiologist had to come back to do one more x-ray. She said I think I took the picture when she wasy saying cheese. :0). Piper slept through that x-ray...Poor baby she was exhausted & ready to sleep. At 5:40 the dr. came in to check on Piper & asked if we felt comfortable taking her home. We said yes & we thanked him. We got home at 6:30 & no we did not make it to church :(. Also we couldn't take Piper to the nursery anyway b/c the Croup is contagious.

How it happened.......
The dr. said it is viral & it probably started with that runny nose! Cold air makes it better so we have tried to take her outside in the air some today to make her better.

Thank you JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!
God answered our prayers tonight. He also gave us a dr. that was really good & took care of our little girl. He acknowledged what was wrong with her immediatley. GOD is so good & we are so thankful!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so scary Becky! I'm glad she is ok! Last summer we had to take Dean to the hospital and he had croup. It was so scary! The boys have runny noses and coughing right now so hopefully they won't get any worse. Let me know if you guys need anything!

    Oh-and I'm gonna try that recipe this week-I'll let you know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete